Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I'm living in Vancouver, BC Canada and work with pregnant parents to have the healthiest, happiest arrival possible for their babies. I am a voice for baby boys who want their genitalia left alone, please! I teach classes for midwives online through WizIq.com I love my life and am grateful to do work I love and get paid for it.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Little Things

I notice that there are so many small things that make a big difference in being online.  For instance, when I first started my Wordpress blog (with assistance from a tech guy), I would find things and paste them into a post and sometimes the blog would go nuts and move the margins over or the side bar would disappear.  When I complained to my tech guy, Troy, about this, he couldn't figure out what was happening so he went to the server people.  THEY WERE APPALLED when they went into my blog because I had miles and miles of formatting that was plugging everything up.  Who knew that you couldn't just cut and paste to a blog?


THAT'S how I learned about putting the text into a Word document and pasting as Unformatted Text before, then, re highlighting and pasting into my blog.  There's probably an easier, smarter way to do it than that but that's what I know about it so far.  All you tech people probably shake your heads that people who blog don't know these things, right?  Never mind, because when you're having a baby, I'll be shaking my head that you don't know that the baby actually comes out of the vagina!

6 comments:

  1. I struggle with these text box things as well, and I'm a tech support person. Like this tiny box I'm typing in on blogger right now. Yuck. I mainly use a text editor called vim, which I've always enjoyed, since it reminds me of the word processor I first learned to type on in the 80's! It's always about what your comfortable with. The web wasn't designed with this kind of writing in mind. We are still in the process of retrofitting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that info, Floyd. This is what the server guy said about me and all the HTML I downloaded:

    Please remind Gloria to check text before she posts.
    She can use this service:
    http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

    Have you heard of that service. I don't think I ever did it, just pasted everything into WordPerfect as "unformatted text" and then recopied. Since doing that, haven't been in too much trouble. :) gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your wise comments... I hadn't thought of the parallels between birthing and blogging. You live and learn!

    I look forward to meeting you online during the course.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gloria...you made me laugh with your midwifery references :)

    You're right...it's the little things that take a while to learn & can put people off when things don't go to plan. It's worth being patient cos you get there in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gloria,
    It won't take long before you're more relaxed about updating. And as you've already seen, it seems like a helpful supportive bunch on the course. Just like last year - I started but I didn't finish. (UK readers will recognise my mangling of Magnus Magnusson from Mastermind [grin]).
    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:47 PM PDT

    Heehee! Thanks Gloria! Yeah I've got a lot to learn about this stuff. Love talking about babies and birthing though!

    ReplyDelete