It does get a bit confusing when the time zones have to be figured out and sometimes the classrooms online can be unworkable or have tech glitches which I feel I can't surmount. This online facilitation is definately a "learn by doing" exercise. By seeing other facilitators deal with breakdowns, I can anticipate and put in preventive measures in the future.
Today we had a class with a teacher from Israel who introduced us to WizIQ. She likes it better than Elluminate which is the original classroom we have mainly used in FO2010. I just went to search for the link and found this post in my inbox from AuthorStream which might be helpful for some of my classmates. The last link takes you to their discussion group at http://www.wiziq.com
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
Questions? Shoot a mail to us support@authorstream.com | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
Comments? Start a discussion in the PowerPoint Learning Community at WiZiQ | ||||||||||||||||||||||||

The good thing about wiziq is that its free...I reckon you could run some nice PD sessions for midwives using wiziq...and it wouldn't cost in the same way as Elluminate
ReplyDeleteDo you like Elluminate more, Sarah?
ReplyDeleteOne of the things about "free" is that it allows a lot of fuzzy agreements which lead to a lack of integrity.
I didn't understand some of the things from the WizIQ class:
1. was it possible that the co ordinators, participants, speaker, etc could have been in the class and ready to go right on time rather than having the first 10 mins be about sound checks, passing the microphone, don't have the Powerpoint, etc. I would want to work with a room where I could come in 1/2 hr early and get all that sorted out so that the class could start on a solid foundation of certainty.
2. once we got the sound worked out things seemed to go quite smoothly as Nellie knew the nuts and bolts of the room. I was unable to get in because (unbeknownst to me until I logged out) my Adobe had crashed and needed to be rebooted. I was sending messages in the message box to the co ordinator but she wasn't responding. How is that box made visible to the class co ordinator? When Nellie said she'd taught up to 200 people in that classroom, I was amazed. I'm sure that some people would have trouble logging in, as did I, how can we see what's happening outside?
Thanks for a very educational hour.
I prefer Elluminate but that is probably because of familiarity. Wiziq is great, I think, as a free tool.
ReplyDelete1. Yes...you do need to factor in extra time for sound checks etc so room should have been set up for 10 mins before the hour
2. Not sure how to answer that second question...can I suggest you contact wiziq support - they appear to be very responsive:
Siddhartha Dhiman
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletesiddhartha@wiziq.com
ReplyDeletethanks for that, Sarah, I'll contact her and that's good to know that you can just book an extra 10 mins front and back for technical checks, early arrivers, etc.
ReplyDelete